St. Catherine’s Junior School
St Catherine’s is the oldest private girls school in Australia, being formed in 1856, and located on the Waverley site since 1857. The Junior School has ten new classrooms, a library, multi-purpose room, ancillary functional areas and new playgrounds. The building has been instrumental in increasing enrolments at the school through the creation of a new physical identity that reflects the educational environment offered to the students.
The architecture is designed to minimise energy usage and provide opportunity for teaching/learning experiences in all areas, including stair and corridor spaces. Each of the principle interior spaces are linked to a special outdoor area, connecting the varying levels of the site through the school layout. Two pre-existing buildings are integrated with the new building to complete the Junior School environment.